Embodied Carbon Methodology
To develop an industry wide standardised approach to calculating embodied carbon within facade systems.
- Develop consistent methodology for calculating embodied carbon in facade systems,
- Allow review of carbon impact on individual projects against industry targets,
- Enable evaluation of design decisions and comparison of material and system choices.
To provide guidance on how to navigate facade refurbishments with the goal of retaining and conserving existing facades and materials.
- Develop a roadmap for how to approach a facade refurbishment and establish strategies with a focus on sustainability,
- Develop guidance on existing facade performance upgrades, investigations, surveys and diagnostics, risk management, roles and responsibilities,
- Develop facade material and system specific refurbishment guidelines,
- Develop a detailed facade refurbishment Plan of Work guide by design stage and project type.
To provide a circularity guidance specific to new and existing facade materials and systems.
- Develop guidance for how facade industry practices can be improved throughout a building’s life cycle with stage-by-stage considerations,
- Develop a circularity toolkit to aid facade design decisions,
- Differentiate circularity guidance for both new facade components vs existing facade components considering a building lifecycle including beyond end-of-life.
Plan of Work
To form a centralised summary of CWCT sustainability initiatives, communicating to industry what guidance is available and what is actively being developed, in addition to providing links to work by the other CWCT Sustainability Workstreams.
- Develop a Plan of Work Template Guide for the facade industry,
- Develop a detailed Developed Plan of Work guide for construction professionals and facade specialists.
To improve the calculation processes of carbon emissions associated with the building fabric to allow for more accurate quantification of carbon emissions.
- Develop Part L compliance calculation guidance for fabric performance,
- Provide guidance for accurate analyses and consideration of solar shading elements in thermal and energy assessments,
- Develop thermal bridge calculation guidance to improve accuracy,
- Develop a detailed carbon emissions assessment Plan of Work guide by design stage and project type.
LCA, EPD, PCR Gap Analysis
To provide guidance on how to analyse and apply EPDs and PCRs for facade products in LCAs considering current industry capabilities and limitations.
- Develop guidance on the relationship between LCAs, PCRs, and EPDs, and the current state of this for facades including current industry information/knowledge gaps,
- Develop guidance and provide considerations for how to apply different types of EPDs for use in facade LCAs.