The proceedings of the International Conference on Building Envelope Systems and Technolog held in Bath 1997. The proceedings comprise seventy papers by leading international facade specialists.
The papers cover all aspects of facades including: Materials, Structures, Building physics, sealing, durability and constuction process.
ICBEST is the leading international conference in this field.
- The wall of the future
- The challenge of 'green' buildings in Asia
- Wind performance evaluation procedures for roofing systems - current status and future trends.
- DTI programme activities in building integrated photovoltaics - opportunities and challenges.
- Detailing for an intolerant industry - Gosford Hospital case study.
- Probing the design pattern of the Chinese comfortably-off villa residence in 2000.
- Essential elements of bolted structural glass systems.
- The engineering of composite glass beams.
- Performance of architectural glass in a mid-rise curtain wall system under simulated earthquake conditions.
- Spontaneous fracture of glass due to nickel sulphide inclusions - Risk management and development of a non-destructive testing system.
- Trafficable glass roofs.
- The design of building facades for blast resistance.
- Blast resistant GFRP cladding panels.
- A report on the damages of metal curtain walls, doors and windows by the 1995 Hyogo-ken Nanbu earthquake.
- Modelling concrete anchors in the analysis of steel sub-frames in the re-cladding of buildings.
- Impact resistance of plain laterized concrete.
- DA report on the damages of precast concrete curtain walls by the 1995 Hyogo-ken Nanbu earthquake.
- Management of the cladding/services interface: a case study.
- Facade procurement - the role of the facade consultant.
- Failure mode and effects analysis in the cladding industry.
- JA study on the cladding system from the viewpoint of 'Yakumono'.
- Structural silicone glazing design, application and maintenance.
- Optimising sealant performance through finite element analysis.
- Structural strengthening with external plate bonding.
- Sealant joints in cladding - obtaining good adhesion.
- Sealed joints : achieving satisfactory long-term performance. (Abstract only)
- Effect of cladding panel movement on the performance of newly-sealed joints.
- Evolution of curtain wall design against water infiltration.
- The evolution in joint sealing.
- Effects of weatherproofing sealants on building aesthetics.
- Prestressed Ketton stone perimeter frame: The Queen's Building, Emmanuel College, Cambridge.
- Durability of stone for construction.
- Undercut anchor technology for attachment of natural stone, ceramic and high pressure laminates in the facade
- Optimum design of composite cladding panels.
- Solid aluminium panels for exterior wall cladding.
- Wall features - great and small.
- Towards whole life costing of facades.
- Durability of the facade.
- The corrosion of masonry clad steel framed buildings constructed up to the late 1930s.
- he benefits of testing cladding for weathertightness.
- Methodology for establishing the water penetration testing criteria.
- Environmental monitoring of an overcladding system.
- To develop a European standard watertightness dynamic test for curtain walling.
- Simplified loop analysis for naturally ventilated buildings.
- 'Das Düsseldorfer Stadttor'; Exercising an integrated approach to double facade planning.
- Double skin glass facades - Investigations into the load sharing possibilities.
- TVariable solar control glazing. (Abstract only)
- Thermal properties of evacuated glazing based on experimental solar simulation and computer-based simulation modelling.
- Advances in transparent insulation technology.
- The lighting and perception of multi-layer translucent skins. (Abstract only)
- ETFE foil cushions as an alternative to glass for atriums and rooflights.
- The Architecturally integrated photovoltaic facade at Northumberland Building, University of Northumbria, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Integrated non-imaging concentrator photovoltaic building facades.
- Design and performance of an integrated envelope/lighting system.
- Optical and radiative characterisation for relevant application of several commercially available low E coated glasses from the European market place.
- The development of a thermally improved system - System 1.0
- Point thermal bridges in ventilated curtain walls - Measurements and numerical calculations.
- The new IFI aerocoustic wind tunnel - a tool for building acoustic investigation.
- Bringing colour to inner city life
- Hygro-thermic behaviour of earth-bricks masonries.
- Experimental analysis of the hygrometric behaviour of plasters - the role of stratification.
- Use of an environmental chamber to investigate large-scale envelope specimen hygrothermal performance.
- Field testing of filled-cavity wall systems.
- Hygrothermal load on composite-facade performance.
- Case studies on external wall insulation systems faced with thin render.
- The use of bentonite in residential rooms as a hygrometric retarder.
- The deformation and wind safety of metal facades
- Unsteady pressure gradients and their implications for pressure-equalised rainscreens.
- Velocity and impact direction of wind-driven rain on building faces.